Tuesday, November 10, 2009

It’s All Down Hill from…well, After Next Week

Feeling heavy weight…Right now I’m procrastinating from doing work. I’ve got about an hour before I’m picked up by my tutee’s driver. It really finally hit me earlier that my tutoring days are full 12 hour days…and they can hurt. And so…I’ve relearned the magic from a every teacher’s favorite drug: caffeine. It’s a terrible cycle, really: one morning you wake up tired; have a cup of coffee; feel great, so have another one after lunch to battle the body’s natural urge for a Siesta. Then…2:00 rolls around and try to keep the productivity of the day going by convincing yourself to stay late at school and have coke and a banana. Yay, you’ve had a productive day! Later, you’re in bed and starting to sweat because of all the tossing and turning you’re doing. You try to trick your brain…maybe I’ll read a book, listen to an uninteresting pod cast, or make a snack – then I’ll be sleepy! Why can’t I sleep?! you ask. The caffeine. Now the next morning sucks because your sleep did. And back at school you look at the boiling coffee and rub your eyes, wondering if they’re as red as they feel.
That has been my last couple days. And it’s probably why I’m procrastinating now. All week I’ve been thinking about parent conferences early next week – feeling the weight of that. (My team has been great with helping me prepare for that, but any extra advice would be awesome.) Today we just had a staff meeting, and our principal took the new ASK hires through the formal observation process we’ll be doing twice this year: once before X-mas and once after. Thinking of that and feeling this caffeine crash makes by body feel…heavy. I can only slouch so far. I just need to kind of focus up, back up…give myself a little pep-talk. It won’t be long before I see my desk again. I need some exercise is what I need. I can’t really justify herding 19 2nd graders all day long as exercise. I keep thinking…after parent conferences it’s all down hill.
My old supervisor asked me a couple times how am I taking care of myself outside of school. And exercise is the big one I’m not doing regularly enough here. Because well..I already got a maid! And last night I realized the amount of cooking I do plays a factor into how soon she will be back to wash my dishes. Sorry mom and dad, I know you probably don’t like that one…

No comments:

Post a Comment