Saturday, September 12, 2009

Doogie Howser and Will Smith

Tomorrow begins the third week of school...then Thursday will begin our first (one-week) break from school.  Sounds tough, I know.  The holiday is Eid: a celebration of Ramadan's end. Usually this would be a chance to travel, but most of us new hires have yet to get our civil IDs, and so our passports are still in the custody of the ministry (I think that's right, anyway).  

Let's see...I know some of you have been wanting to see pictures of my living space, but I have purposefully been delaying it for a couple reasons.  The flat is not nearly as nice as the first pictures I showed to friends and family this summer of what I thought I would be moving into. And...well, that's pretty much the main reason.  Next time for sure I'll get some pics up.  Right now my place is littered with water bottles, white walls, and a healthy layer of dust/sand.  

This week last week of teaching wasn't nearly as crazy as the first week.  Each day I was actually able to go home before Iftar, or sunset - the breaking of the fast.  (I think that's what it's called.) As of now my official class roster is at 19.  But two kids have still not shown up and may not show up until after Eid.  So a consistent 17 so far.  Isn't that how it should be?  Here's a little break down of my class's demographics: mostly Arab (Kuwaiti, Lebanese, Egyptian, from what I know for sure), three Americans, one Ethiopian, one Arab with a British accent, one...I think, Nicaraguan (ELL), one African-American, and a couple "half-breeds".  I really like the diversity! 

Let's talk about parents.  I did communicate and chat with parents during my student teaching, but it was always very casual and...they knew I wasn't the classroom teacher, so generally my thoughts and opinions didn't affect there child as much as the actual classroom teacher.  Here, I have people to turn to for answers, but of course I want to try and avoid doing that.  I'm bringing this up because I've gotten this vibe from a few parents like I'm Doogie Howser and I'm too young and/or inexperienced (or too male in one particular case) to be teaching there children.  

I can't wait for the Open House so I can tell them directly, "Hey, it doesn't help any of us trying to knit-pick, or find flaws (or type-o's) and blowing up little things to paint my picture.  Give me the benefit of the doubt.  Pick your battles.  Going against me, or doubting me, will not help your child; it will not help me teach your child.  My teaching will be better if I have your trust, as opposed to offering up unnecessary frustrations via brash emails or condescending remarks about my format choice for the September Calendar."  Not those exact words, but somewhere along those lines (If you have some ideas or advice on the matter, I'd love to hear it.).  I bring this up because I've had a couple parents get a little...assertive with me, as if I'm doing something wrong because I'm not doing something there child's 1st grade teacher used to do. Will Smith and DJ Jazzy Jeff may have said best back in the '80's: "Parents just don't understand!"


  

1 comment:

  1. Love the way you write....sit here laughing and reading it out loud to Daneah.

    Advice:

    Use the people at the school. You say you have people who have answers but you don't want to use them....this will get you in more trouble. Use the people that have been there for awhile. Talk to them about the parents you have.....most of your parents I would bet have other kids in the school talk to teachers who have had their other children in the pass and get some ideas on how to handle them. Don't make it harder on yourself by having to figure it out if someone else already has. Don't become an island....your team....and being open and honest will get you home even earlier in the day. :)

    "Teaching would be so much easier without parents"

    Is so true, but parents are there....remember they love their children and they want what is best for them. They also are paying a ton of money and feel as though (in most cases) that gives them the power to "get their way".

    They are going to see you as young and inexperienced...but remember you are. :) Use the people around you. Your principal, your counselor, etc to find out as much as you can about the parents in your room. Who do you have to email back the same day, who can you count on to be honest with you. Building that relationship with parents is key to having a great year because as you know they can undermine your work at home if they don't.

    BTSN (Back To School Night) will be a biggy for you especially because this is your first year. I like the approach you outline above. You need to talk to them as educating their child is a partnership between you and them and doing what's best for their child. You need to lay down the law but do it in a way that makes them feel empowered.

    As for your living arrangements....pics are always good no matter what it looks like. No maid yet? Sounds like you need to get on that. :)

    Masalama

    ReplyDelete